Adhesion Tester PosiTest AT-A
Automatic Adhesion Tester - Positest ATA
The Positest AT-A Automatic Adhesion Tester measures the force required to pull a specified test area of coating away from a substrate using hydraulic pressure. An electronically controlled hydraulic pump automatically applies smooth and continuous pull-off pressure. The pump greatly reduces user effort and the risk of influencing the pulling process.
The AT-A's built-in rechargeable battery performs over 200 tests per charge. The supplied AC adapter / charger allows you to continue testing with AC power while the battery recharges.
The AT-A is features an environmentally sealed enclosure. It is weatherproof, dustproof and shockproof. Meeting or exceeding IP65 rating.
- Select from four Stand-offs - 20 mm, 50 mm, 50x50 mm Tile and 50 mm C1583
- Environmentally sealed enclosure – weatherproof, dustproof and shockproof - meets or exceeds IP65
- Inexpensive, single-use dollies eliminate cleaning for re-use and can be kept as a permanent record
- Self-aligning aluminum dolly enables accurate measurements on smooth or uneven surfaces
- 10, 14, 20 or 50 mm dollies maximize capability and measurement resolution across a wide range of bond strengths
- Calibrated and certified to ±1% accuracy using a NIST traceable load cell
- Conforms to international standards including ASTM C1583/D4541/D7234/D7522, ISO 4642/16276-1, BS EN 12004-2, AS/NZS 1580.408.5 and others
- Electronically controlled hydraulic pump automatically applies smooth and continuous pull-off pressure. Greatly reduces user effort and the risk of influencing the pulling process
- Impact and scratch resistant color touch screen with keypad for operation with or without gloves
- Built-in rechargeable battery performs over 200 tests per charge. Continue testing with AC power while the battery recharges.
- Rubberized, shock absorbing grips provide a stable, skid-resistant footing
- 10, 14, 20 or 50 mm dollies maximize capability and measurement resolution across a wide range of bond strengths. Maximum pull-off pressure by dolly size:
- 10 mm: 14000 psi (96 MPa)
- 14 mm: 7000 psi (50 MPa)
- 20 mm: 3500 psi (24 MPa)
- 50 mm: 560 psi (3.8 MPa)
- User selectable measurement units: psi (pounds per square inch), MPa (Megapascal), Nmm2 (Newtons per millimeter square) or Newton (force)
- User adjustable pull rate, pull limit and hold time
- Rotating display for horizontal and vertical use
- Software Updates via web keep your instrument current
|Dolly size and stand-off*
||Higher bond strength coating on metal
||Lower bond strength coatings on wood, concrete and plastic
||BS EN 12004-2
Cementitious adhesives for tiles
Concrete surfaces and overlays
||0.7 - 24 MPa
100 - 3500 psi
100 - 7550 N
|0.4 - 3.8 MPa
50 - 560 psi
100 - 7550 N
|0.4 - 3.033 MPa
50 - 440 psi
100 - 7550 N
|0.4 - 3.8 MPa
50 - 560 psi
100 - 7550 N
||0.01 MPa (1 psi)
||± 1% Full Scale
||⌀20 mm (qty 20) Aluminum
||⌀50 mm (qty 8) Aluminum
||50 mm² Plate (qty 4) with threaded post Steel
||⌀50 mm (qty 4) with ≥ 25 mm thickness Steel
||20 mm hole saw
||50 mm hole saw
||50 mm diamond grit hole saw with arbor
* Optional 20mm/50mm/50 mm C1583/50 mm Tile Conversion Kits allow each model to be used with alternative dolly sizes. Custom 10 and 14 mm dollies are available for special applications (compatible with 20 mm stand off).
ATA Self-Alignment Feature
Unequal pulling force during testing caused by uneven adhesive bond lines and coating surfaces can result in random, unexplainable readings. To obtain more repeatable and meaningful adhesion measurements, it is imperative that the pulling force applied to the test dolly is uniformly distributed over the surface being tested.
Both the PosiTest AT-M manual and PosiTest AT-A automatic models compensate for misalignment. The self-aligning, quick-coupling actuator and spherical articulating dolly head enable uniform distribution of the pulling force over the surface being tested, preventing a one-sided pull-off.
Memory and Reporting Features
- Internal memory stores maximum pull-off pressure, rate of pull, test duration and dolly size for 100,000 pulls in up to 1,000 batches
- Record the results as pass/fail and the nature of fracture - cohesive, adhesive and glue failures
- Wirelessly connect to your smart device using our free PosiTector App (Apple iOS and Android)
- WiFi technology wirelessly communicates with PosiSoft.net, downloads software updates and allows access to stored measurement data using standard web browsers
- PosiSoft USB Drive - stored readings and graphs can be accessed via USB using universal PC/Mac web browsers or file explorers. No software required
- Compatible wit PosiSoft Desktop, PosiSoft.net and PosiTector App (Apple iOS and Android) software solutions
PosiTector App Features
- Add images and notes using the camera or keyboard
- Create customized, professional PDF reports
- Share, backup, synchronize and report measurement data
- Auto-pairing Bluetooth (BLE) connection
Use the touch screen to interact with menu options. Swipe horizontally to navigate between views or vertically to move between batch readings. Alternatively, the keypad can be used for navigation and selection.
| User adjustable dolly size, pull rate, pull limit and hold time.
|| Batch summary provides an at-a-glance review of test results.
||View test parameters and reading results. Reading is recorded as pass or fail based on set test parameters. The pass/fail results can be revised.
| Notes can be added for each reading.
|| Include a note for a batch (group) of readings.
|| Record the nature of failure - cohesive, adhesive and glue failures.
Recording the Nature of the Fracture
Upon completion of a pull-off test, the dolly and coated surface should be examined. In addition to pull-off force, many National and International standards such as ASTM D4541 and ISO 4624 require the nature of the fracture to be recorded.
- Cohesive fracture: fracture occurs within a coating layer (same coating on dolly face and coated surface).
- Adhesive fracture: fracture occurs at the interface between layers (coating on dolly face differs from surface).
- Glue failure: visible separation of the glue from itself, the coating or dolly (no coating visible on the dolly face).
The cohesive and adhesive fracture visual analysis can be recorded using the PosiTest AT-A's keypad or touch screen display. Alternatively, the information can be reported using the PosiTector App.
Fractures are visually estimated and recorded as a percent of each. The two layer example below illustrates a cohesive fracture within coating layer 1 and layer 2 (visually estimated at 50% each). Recorded results are included in reports.